What are the Health- Related Challenges, for Mother and Child?
Major health problems affecting mothers and children in India are:
3. Unregulated fertility
Malnutrition is widely prevalent in developing countries. Pregnant and lactating women and children are particularly vulnerable to malnutrition.
Malnutrition during pregnancy can result in complications like:
• Post-partum hemorrhage
• Toxemia of pregnancy
• low birth weight in babies etc.
Critical periods of life when a child is most vulnerable to malnutrition—
* Intra-uterine period—Children born with low birth weight have chances of higher mortality.
* Weaning period —Severe malnutrition coincides with the usual age of weaning.
• Infections lead to increased morbidity and mortality among both, mother and the baby. The risk of infections is low in developed countries, but they continue to be a major problem in developing countries including India.
• Infection during pregnancy can result in low birth weight, abortions etc.
- Unregulated Fertility (uncontrolled reproduction)
• Unregulated fertility adversely affects the health of both, the mother and the child, causing—
1. Severe anemia
3. High maternal mortality etc.
Why is Mother and Child Health Important?
“ THE IMPORTANCE OF CARING FOR MOTHERS IS A CRUCIAL FACTOR IN THE HEALTH OF CHILDREN”
The emotional, social and physical development of young children has a direct effect on their overall development and on the adult they will become. That is why understanding the need to invest in very young children is so important, as to maximize their future well-being.
How can we overcome This Health-Related challenge?
Awareness among women about mother and child health is the very first step to overcome the challenges. Improving women’s access to productive resources and income; improve women’s nutritional status; and empower women to obtain better health care, education and social services is a collective task of the community. Improving maternal health is key to saving the lives of more than half a million women who die as a result of complications from pregnancy and childbirth each year.
Investing in Maternal and Child Health should be ‘The Nations Priority’. Potential and Early Learning of Care is recommended in order to reduce Mortality rates.
So, let’s connect with our expert team ‘Ekam’ who can help us better understand the solution to this challenge, for a safe and healthy tomorrow. Log on to www.ekamoneness.org to learn more.