“THE IMPACT OF PEER GROUP INFLUENCERS ON THE STATUS OF REPRODUCTIVE, ADOLESCENT AND SEXUAL HEALTH”
Mobilization and awareness community workshops
With the help of a local facilitator, Mr. Jagdish Semwal EKAM organizes 4 workshops in the three GPs. Gram Pradhan, Teacher, ASHA
worker and children, women, men all participated in these workshops. Mr. Shudhir Bhatt was a technical consultant; deliver all the information to the participant. Mr. Anil Maikhuri, Project Head EKAM foundation was briefing them on how EKAM Foundation reaches to this valley and what contribution EKAM is looking for the community.
Sanitation and Hygiene
Personal Hygiene – Nail cutting, hair cutting, teeth brushing, Handwashing, etc.
Domestic Hygiene – Covering of the water containers, covering of cooked food,cleaning of rooms, kitchen, toilet etc.
Environmental Sanitation – Use of dustbin/garbage receptacles, the importance of toilets and health hazards of open defecation, etc.
- Discussion on the causes of anemia and its related diseases, lifestyle, nutritional issues.
- Issues related to pregnancy and neonatal care.
- Approach to Health facility
- Discussion on good and bad food practices.
- Community needs assessments
Community needs assessments
These are the main issues the community suggested to work on to improve the health sector in Ghuttu valley:
Strengthening of Primary Health Center, Panja: For this EKAM need to initiate dialogue with the State government with help of the community and utilize the available funds and provide help whatever gap is exited.
Health Camps: Health camps are required for early identifications of various diseases and help patients for basic treatments and referrals.
Capacity building of ASHAs and ANMs: To reduce the mortality rate of neonatal in the valley there is a need for training on capacity building of Health workers i.e. ASHAs and ANMs. EKAM has vast experience of providing these training and working with Health workers.
Special focus on delivery and neonatal care: It has been observed that in the valley there is one of two neo-natal mortalities is happening in every month due to lack of basic knowledge and absence of health care. To prevent this EKAM will focus on the pregnant ladies health and neonatal care to provide them information of nutrition food practices and other health-related issues. Capacity building of health workers will also contribute in this regard.
Regular awareness drive on Hygiene and Sanitation: In all workshops community member were demanding that need regular inputs on Hygiene andsanitation and some special workshops with school going children.
Awareness on the nutrition value of locally available food: There is a need felt that awareness is required on the nutrition value of locally available vegetable, pulses, grains etc. to prevent many diseases especially in children and women. At the same, there is a need to awareness on the prevention of the fast food (Maggi Noodles, Chow Mein, Momo (dumplings) etc.) which has become the replacement of locally availab
- 4 workshops were conducted in Three Gram Panchayat. Since the Satiyala GP is the biggest one so we conducted two workshops there.
- In all workshops participations are welcoming and has shown great involvement during the discussion and they have given their inputs on what are the activity project can design for their wellbeing.
- The inputs we received from the community are going to be very important for the further strategy of project implementation.
- Through this exercise of community need assessment now we have the clear picture on how are going to implement the further activities in this area.
- The ideal condition will be if we are able to generate resource to work in the whole valley but as per the fund we receive we will plan the number of villages and covered population accordingly.
- EKAM always opens to incorporate suggestions from the different stakeholders of the project. These stakeholders are the community, government, social institute, and the donors.
|Workshops||Village||Date||Number of Participants||
|Satiyal||22 Sep||45||Basic School|
|Satiyal||23 Sep||22||Primary School|
|Kandhar||23 Sep||34||Panchayat Bhavan|
|Saman||24 Sep||47||Primary School|